Sometimes all you really want is a little chocolate. Well, these cupcakes are for when you want plenty of chocolate – no skimping. If I could only ever bake one chocolate cupcake in the world, it’d be this one.
To start, the cupcake itself is maybe the most moist cupcake you’ll ever have. It’s ridiculously good. You’ve never tasted homemade chocolate cupcakes like the one you’re about to make from this recipe. The secret to this cupcake is the baking, it’s baked at a lower temperature for that moist sponge texture.
You’ll notice when you make the cupcakes that the batter is very thin. I mean like, very thin. It’s supposed to be that way. These are full of moisture. Baking at a lower temperature allows the cupcakes to bake more evenly and end up super fluffy and so moist. Unlike some cupcakes that end up dry on the outside and crack, these don’t do that and are moist throughout for days.
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
1 cups (207g) sugar
6 tbsp (43g) Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder*
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup (120ml) hot water
1 1/4 cups (280g) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
3 tbsp (22g) Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
5 cups (575g) powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
4-5 tbsp (60-75ml) heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
3. Combine the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium-sized bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
5. Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin.
6. Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
7. Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
8. To make the frosting, beat the butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
9. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
10. Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
11. Add about half of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix until well combined.
12. Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth.
13. Add remaining heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency of frosting.
14. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.